Recent issues

Now that the number of countries issuing hand-engraved, recess-printed stamps seems to be dwindling ever further, it might become feasible to keep up to date with new issues. At least, that's what I told myself when I read the latest New Issue Guide in Stamp Magazine. So I decided to get some in.


And that's how I ended up in the Faroe Islands. And here you see the result of my modest spending spree. And though I like the general idea, I'm less sure now that I've put it into practice.


Unfortunately, many stamps nowadays are printed in a combination of processes, so that the actual engraving does not always (or hardly ever) stand out. Do I care to fill my stockbooks with these?


It's not that I'm doing them down, it's just that they're basic stamps, not the engraved wonders of old. So maybe my newly thought up plan has already come to a premature halt! The only stamp that would qualify if more stringent criteria are adapted, is the 2016 Nolsoyar Pall stamp, engraved, like most others in this post, by Martin Mörck.


At least here we have a stamp which is predominantly engraved and which lets you actually enjoy that engraving. So thumbs up for that one.


On the other end of the spectrum we find a stamp issued in 2013. It duly mentions Bertil Skov Jorgensen as the engraver and from the website it looked like a stunner. But now that I've actually got it, I would say it is anything but recess-printed. It feels as smooth as a baby's bum and when holding the stamp to the light at any angle, the usually matt engraved parts do not show at all. Yet, all bumph I read about it does say that it is printed in recess!

So what's going on here? Do any of you have any more information on this particular stamp? Hope so!

:-)
Adrian